plotfold as a system() call?

Keith Robison robison at golgi.harvard.edu
Sat Dec 3 02:33:21 EST 1994

Spencer Muse (SVM1 at psuvm.psu.edu) wrote:
: I would like to run plotfold from within a C program, using a system()
: call. I see that the graphical versions (eg mountains, squiggles, etc)
: have their own binaries. I need to get either text output or the .connect
: file (menu options G and H). plotfold itself doesn't seem to work as a
: system() call for me. Any suggestions on how I might do this? (All I
: really want to access is the free energy of the optimal structure. A
: simple way to do that from within a C program would be fine, too.)

Are you running GCG under UNIX?  If so, all the commands are somewhat
strange aliases you should decompose before trying to use in any
program [shell, C, etc].  You can get the alias by either
"alias plotfold" or "which plotfold".

I don't know whether the concept applies at all to the VMS versions,
but its probably worth a check.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI