email servers

Keith Robison robison at nucleus.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 4 11:52:25 EST 1994

a handsome chappy!! (jenkins at aidsun.nibsc.ac.uk) wrote:

: Hi fellow netters,

: I'm sorry if this as a FAQ (though I don't recall seeing a similar question), but what e-mail services are available for the molecular biologist, for example the Blast services .

: The reason i'm asking is that we as a network are going 'internet' soon if that makes sense.

: To access these services, what software package(s) are required.

Amos Bairoch maintains a complete list of E-mail and FTP sites
for molecular biology.  You can get it from his excellent WWW
server at http://expasy.hcuge.ch.  I think it is also available
via gopher (try gopher.gdb.org) and FTP (try ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)

For simple usage, E-mail servers require no special software --
you just format a mail message and send it.  Some software does
come with hooks to E-mail servers -- the one I am most familiar
with is Steve Smith's Genetic Data Environment (you must get for
your Suns and SGI's!) which has hooks to E-mail services.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI

robison at mito.harvard.edu