IUBio

[Q] DBindex restrictions?

Alan Bleasby ajb at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk
Mon Sep 6 16:35:45 EST 1993

Seems to be my week for posting queries!
Hardware: SGI Crimson 4D
Software: IRIX4.0.5, GCG 7.2

I am trying to dbindex a large NBRF format database (by large I mean over
65536 entries). The program happily produces offset, names & numbers files
of several megabytes. All is OK (I can cat the files as they're being
produced & they look reasonable) until the program reaches the sort stage
at which point the names & numbers files are set to zero & 37 bytes
respectively (the latter just saying `0') and the program exits gracefully
without sorting.

Is there an int limit somewhere (index entries reported > 65536; Accessions
> 85000)?

I will happily make the database files available to GCG if necessary.

TIA

Alan Bleasby
SEQNET
Daresbury Laboratory