Mixed LAN (Unix, Macs) (Q)

Dan Lacey lacey at dsea.com
Fri Oct 29 18:55:11 EST 1993

winstel at vms.biochem.mpg.de
> (Rainer Winstel) writes:
> > Hi
> > is there anybody with experience in planning, designing and building a
> > mixed LAN with a Unix workstation as fileserver and several small
(LC) to
> > middle-range (Centris) macs. We want to install a small LAN for our
> > Pharmacology
> > Departement in Wuerzburg, Germany. We need a Unix Workstation which
is fast
> >   enough to run the unix-version of GCG (molecular biology software
> > package) and to function as an appleshare fileserver for the other
macs. We
> > are thinking about an ethertalk connection and two zones one for each
floor
> > of  the building. It would be nice to connect a laserwriter to
workstation
> > an to use it as a printserver.
> > An suggestions for hard- and software are welcome
> >
> > Thanks in advance Rainer
>
> A possible config:
>   - Sun, model depends on your usage of GCG
>   - Appleshare server on Unix:
> 	Ushare from IPT(appleshare server on unix) (I bought it, and runs fine)
> 		easier to install and manage than CAP
> 	or CAP (public domain): works great, needs some expertise on the
> 		appletalk protocol and unix.
>   	both includes printing unix->laserwriter on ethertalk, mac->laser on
Unix.

> For SGI, i don't know of any commercial software for a appleshare
server on
> 	unix, but CAP probably supports it.
>

> Marc Blanchet.

Xinet AppleTalk software (Client only) is bundled on the new SGI
platforms.

They sell the server for both Sun and SGI.

I have used CAP, IPT, and Xinet. CAP is the hardest to configure (because
it runs on almost anything! Which was great when nothing was available
for the SGI.)
If all you need is a file server (using AppleShare) and LaserWriter
emulation, I think Xinet might be cheaper.

Both of the comercial products are very good. The only differences,
although sometimes important, would not be noticed by your needs.

(BTW, all the AppleTalk software I have seen runs faster on the SGI
platform.)

Xinet
2560 Ninth Street
Berkeley, CA. 94710