GCG distributor in Germany?

Roy Omond omond at embl-heidelberg.de
Thu Oct 28 10:30:59 EST 1993

In article <2aoc8sINNs2l at sat.ipp-garching.mpg.de>,
krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de (Cornelius Krasel) writes:
> Hello net,
>
> since our group is moving away from here and therefore does not have anymore
> access to GCG we think about purchasing our own copy. For this reason I
> would it appreciate very much if one could tell me the address of the
> GCG distributor in Germany (if there is one :-) since I would like to
> obtain information about GCG, esp. the UNIX version.
> Thanks in advance, Cornelius.

You know, one of the things that really annoys me is when companies start
to establish "distributors" in different countries.  It usually means that
the customer (you and we !) ends up paying *more* for the product.  In
addition, the so-called "value-added" support you ('re meant to) get from
a local distributor is nearly always less than you'd get by dealing with
the company direct.  In these days of pretty-much universal Internet (or
at least e-Mail) access, I find that one gets much better support/response
to problems via the network either via the various bulletin boards or else
direct by e-Mail to the vendor.

I hereby appeal to GCG not to even consider establishing a distributor
here in Germany.  Cornelius, is there anything wrong with your present
setup regarding GCG ?  The English language, I know, is no problem for
you guys (yours is probably even better than mine :-)

Roy Omond
System Manager
European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Heidelberg, Germany.