GCG Menu

Dr Tan Tin Wee bchtantw at NUSCC.NUS.SG
Thu Oct 28 20:25:20 EST 1993

Tim Bolling wrote:

> Beng-Kee Kiong and Tin-Wee Tan described (in CABIOS 9(2):211-214, 1993)
> a UNIX menuing system which they developed for the GCG programs based on a
> hypertext-like navigation program called HYTELNET (Scott and Fogel, 1991).
> They also cite a VMS menu shell (Gartmann, CJ and U. Grob, CABIOS 7:457-460) in
> their paper.

GCGmenu as described in CABIOS 9(2) is obsolete and is now superseded
by HYBROW which is in press (at least so we think it is 9(5) or 9(6)...)
It's up to version 1.4 on our systems, but we haven't had time to upgrade
the ftp version in ftp://nuscc.nus.sg/pub/biocomp/hybrow*.tar.Z

> I have no experience with the VMS menu but we have implemented the Kiong/Tan
> Unix program here.  I FTP'ed the program from nuscc.nus.sg (137.132.5.2) last
> May (v 1.3).  The version that I got was not without bugs and holes but I (as
> well as others, I'm sure) provided feedback and suggestions.  Eventually, we

That is correct, but many bugs have been fixed in the hybrow version,
and additional features included.  Works on Dec Ultrix 4.3, Irix,
Sun, AIX .

> ended up significantly modifying the program and totally rewriting the menu
> structure.  The original program provided a menu organization which is similar
> to that which GCG provides in its General Information Manual (genmanual).  I
> rewrote our menus to reflect my own personal biases as to what might be the
> most logical command organization for our GCG users.  Menu writing might take
> some time but the fact that the program allows customization is great.  Since
> Kiong/Tan also provide the source code, you can adapt the program even more
> specifically to your users (eg. filtering directory listings, making list files
> on the fly, selecting multiple sequences, creating your own one-key commands).

Indeed. BTW, Hybrow also talks to gopher.  If any one wishes to try out our
implementation, you are welcome to apply to me (bchtantw at nuscc.nus.sg)
for a guest account.  For those in Europe, you might want to try out
Fredj Tekaia's implementation (please apply to tekaia at pasteur.fr) at the
Institut Pasteur, which is much more comprehensive than ours, I have to
admit, because it includes GCG and many many other programs.

> Lastly, I would just like to add that Beng-Kee and Tin-Wee were extremely
> helpful and responsive when I was first setting up and testing the program.
> They made the program freely available - and are thus, not liable to any
> support - and yet it was not uncommon for me to get a response back from them
> timestamped as 12am or 1am local Singapore time.
> Tim Bolling
> bollingt at ugene1.abbott.com
> Abbott Laboratories

Well, we try harder
and if we have the time, we'll make a xwindows version that will work
with xmosaic... but probably not... any takers?

Rgds

TW.

    Tin-Wee TAN, PhD                   /  INTERNET: bchtantw at nuscc.nus.sg
    Dept of Biochemistry and the
    Biocomputing Research and User Support (BRUS) technology group
    National University of Singapore   /  Tel:      (65)-772-3678
    Singapore 0511                     /  Fax:      (65)-779-1453