Mixed LAN (Unix, Macs) (Q)

Rainer Winstel winstel at vms.biochem.mpg.de
Thu Oct 28 08:54:58 EST 1993

Hi
is there anybody with experience in planning, designing and building a
mixed LAN with a Unix workstation as fileserver and several small (LC) to
middle-range (Centris) macs. We want to install a small LAN for our
Pharmacology
Departement in Wuerzburg, Germany. We need a Unix Workstation which is fast
  enough to run the unix-version of GCG (molecular biology software
package) and to function as an appleshare fileserver for the other macs. We
are thinking about an ethertalk connection and two zones one for each floor
of  the building. It would be nice to connect a laserwriter to workstation
an to use it as a printserver.
An suggestions for hard- and software are welcome

Thanks in advance Rainer

*  Rainer Winstel                                                   *
*  Laboratory of Moleculare Biology  (= Genzentrum)                 *
*  Ludwig-Maximillians-University                                   *
*  Klopferspitz 18a                                                 *
*  82152 Martinsried (near Munich)                                  *
*  Germany                        Email: winstel at vms.biochem.mpg.de *