GCG Menu

Tim Bolling bollingt at ugene1.abbott.com
Thu Oct 28 14:35:44 EST 1993

Robert DeLisio writes...

>From BIOSCI-REQUEST at net.bio.net Wed Oct 27 15:09:15 1993
>Date: Wed, 27 Oct 93 16:05:13 EDT
>From: Bob DeLisio <delisior at rnisd0.DNET.roche.com>
>To: info-gcg at net.bio.net
>Subject: GCG Menu

>We have just received information on a program called GCG_Menu and would like
>to know, if you have used it, what you thought it. Is it useful? Does it make
>using GCG easier (read: more intuitive)? Can all the resources in GCGbe
>accessed by it? Does it take much, in the way of computer resources, to run?
>Is it widely used and supported?

Beng-Kee Kiong and Tin-Wee Tan described (in CABIOS 9(2):211-214, 1993)
a UNIX menuing system which they developed for the GCG programs based on a
hypertext-like navigation program called HYTELNET (Scott and Fogel, 1991).
They also cite a VMS menu shell (Gartmann, CJ and U. Grob, CABIOS 7:457-460) in
their paper.

I have no experience with the VMS menu but we have implemented the Kiong/Tan
Unix program here.  I FTP'ed the program from nuscc.nus.sg (137.132.5.2) last
May (v 1.3).  The version that I got was not without bugs and holes but I (as
well as others, I'm sure) provided feedback and suggestions.  Eventually, we
ended up significantly modifying the program and totally rewriting the menu
structure.  The original program provided a menu organization which is similar
to that which GCG provides in its General Information Manual (genmanual).  I
rewrote our menus to reflect my own personal biases as to what might be the
most logical command organization for our GCG users.  Menu writing might take
some time but the fact that the program allows customization is great.  Since
Kiong/Tan also provide the source code, you can adapt the program even more
specifically to your users (eg. filtering directory listings, making list files
on the fly, selecting multiple sequences, creating your own one-key commands).

Lastly, I would just like to add that Beng-Kee and Tin-Wee were extremely
helpful and responsive when I was first setting up and testing the program.
They made the program freely available - and are thus, not liable to any
support - and yet it was not uncommon for me to get a response back from them
timestamped as 12am or 1am local Singapore time.

Tim Bolling
bollingt at ugene1.abbott.com
Abbott Laboratories