gopher

Francis Ouellette francis at AZALEA.NLM.NIH.GOV
Wed Oct 6 11:50:43 EST 1993

> From: Larry_Goldstein at HGL-MAIL.HARVARD.EDU
> Newsgroups: bionet.software.gcg
> Subject: gopher
>
>   yes, there is an outstanding book called The Whole Internet User's
>   Guide and Catalog by Krol.  It is available from Quantum books in ...

an even better place to get this from is the publisher themselves ...

BTW ... I am not related to this book/publisher ... and I also
*highly* recommend it!

regards,

francis

--
| B.F. Francis Ouellette
|
| francis at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

 after a bit of gophering  (gopher.ora.com) I find:

	    O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. ordering information
		     for US and Canadian customers
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[my "^"  ...  -francis]

For information, catalogs, and ordering, call:

    800-998-9938 or 707-829-0515 from 7 AM to 5 PM PST.

To FAX an order:

    707-829-0104

To e-mail an order:

    order at ora.com

To order via US mail:

    O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
    103 Morris Street, Suite A
    Sebastopol, CA  95472

The Whole Internet User's Guide & Catalog

  By Ed Krol
  1st Edition September 1992
  400 pages, ISBN: 1-56592-025-2, $24.95

Book Description:
  Our best-selling book, The Whole Internet User's Guide & Catalog, is
  a comprehensive introduction to the international network of computer
  systems called the Internet. The Internet is more than just one
  network; it's a network that's made up of virtually every computer
  network in the world. Whether you're a researcher, a student, or just
  someone who likes to send electronic mail to friends, the Internet is
  a resource of almost unimaginable wealth.

  The Whole Internet User's Guide & Catalog is a complete introduction
  to the Internet. Of course, it covers the basic utilities that you
  use to access the network: telnet, ftp, mail and news readers. But
  it also does much more. The Guide pays close attention to several
  important information servers (archie, wais, gopher) that are,
  essentially, databases of databases: they help you find what you
  want among the millions of files and thousands of archives available.
  We've also included our own database of databases: a resource index
  that covers a broad selection of several hundred important resources,
  ranging from the King James Bible to archives for USENET news.

  So if you use the Internet for work or for pleasure---or if you'd
  like to, but don't know how---you need this book. If you've been
  around for a few years, you'll still be able to discover resources
  that you didn't know existed. And if you're already familiar with
  everything in this book, you doubtless spend a lot of time answering
  questions about the Net from your friends or associates. Tell them
  to buy this book, and you'll get your peace and quiet back.

  Also includes a pull-out quick-reference card.

Author Information:
  Raised in the Chicago area, Ed Krol went to the University of Illinois,
  got a degree in Computer Science, and never left.

  In 1985 Krol became part of a networking group at the University of
  Illinois where he became the network manager at the time the National
  Center for Supercomputer Applications was formed.  It was there that he
  managed the installation of the original NSFnet.  During the same
  period, he also wrote the "Hitchikers Guide to the Internet" because he
  had so much trouble getting information and was sick of telling the same
  story to everyone.

  In 1989 Krol opted to leave the fast lane and returned to pastoral life
  on campus where he remains to this day, Assistant Director for LAN
  deployment, Computing and Communications Service Office, University of
  Illinois, Urbana.

  He has a wife and daughter (who is in the hacker's dictionary as the
  toddler responsible for Mollyguards).  In his spare time Krol is a pilot
  and plays hockey.

Colophon Information:
  The image featured on the cover of The Whole Internet is an alchemist.
  Alchemy, the precursor of modern chemistry, first appeared around 100
  AD in Alexandria, Egypt--a product of the fusion of Greek and Oriental
  culture. The goal of this philosophic science was to achieve the
  transmutation of base metals into gold, regarded as the most perfect
  of metals.

  Alchemy was based on three key precepts. The first was Aristotle's
  teachings that the basis for all material objects could be found
  in the four elements: fire, water, air, and earth. By altering the
  proportions in which the qualities were combined, elements could be
  changed into one another. The second precept arose from the philosophic
  thought of the time: metals, like all other substances, could be
  converted into one another. The third precept was taken from astrology:
  metals, like plants and animals could be born, nourished, and caused to
  grow through imperfect stages into a final, perfect form.

  Early alchemists were generally from artisan classes. As alchemy gained
  adherents, philosophers became more involved, and the cryptic language
  used by the early artisan-alchemists to protect trade secrets became
  virtually its own language with symbols and fanciful terms. Over the
  centuries, the language of alchemy became ever more complex, reaching
  its height in Medieval Europe in the 14th and 15th centuries. Alchemy
  was superseded by the advent of modern chemistry at the end of the
  18th century.