books on sequence analysis?

tekaia at pasteur.fr tekaia at pasteur.fr
Fri Oct 1 04:25:36 EST 1993

In article <mjcoyne-300993170126 at 134.174.147.40> mjcoyne at warren.med.harvard.edu (Michael Coyne) writes:
[...]
>I'm new to sequencing and sequence analysis (DNA and AA), and I'm looking
>for advice on books that may help me out.  I'm analysing my seqences using
>the GCG package, but I can't help but think I should understand more of
>what's going on with these programs.
>I have a book by R. F. Doolittle (Of URFS and ORFS - A Primer on How to
>Analyze Derived Amino Acid Seqences) which is exactly the type of thing I'm
>looking for, but it's a little dated (copyright 1987).
>
>Anyone have any suggestions for books along these lines that are more
>recent (or particularly good ones of any age)?

 I would suggest the following primer books, I usually recommend for
new users :

1. Sequence Analysis Primer
  edited by : Michael Gribskov
              John Devereux
  N Stockton press  1991.
(Examples in this book are output from the gcg package)

2. Methods in Enzymology
   vol. 183
   Molecular Evolution : Computer Analysis of
   Protein and Nucleic Acid Sequences.

   Edited by : Russel F. Doolittle
   Academic Press, INc   1990.

3. Phylogenetic Analysis of DNA Sequences
   edited by : Michael M. Miyamoto
               Joel Cracraft
     Oxford University Press   1991.

 Hope this helps
 Fredj Tekaia

Fredj Tekaia				Service d`Informatique Scientifique
tekaia at pasteur.fr			Institut Pasteur
					25, rue du Dr. Roux
					75724 Paris cedex 15	France