books on sequence analysis?

Ruben Donis rdonis at UNLINFO.UNL.EDU
Fri Oct 1 08:01:04 EST 1993

Mike writes:
>I'm new to sequencing and sequence analysis (DNA and AA), and I'm looking
>for advice on books that may help me out.  I'm analysing my seqences using
>the GCG package, but I can't help but think I should understand more of
>what's going on with these programs.  For example, I don't fully understand
>what the consequences of altering certian default settings of many programs
>(gap, bestfit, pileup, etc).
>Anyone have any suggestions for books along these lines that are more
>recent (or particularly good ones of any age)?

I found this book to be quite useful.  I have not done extensive
comparisons though.

 TITLE        Sequence analysis primer / edited by Michael Gribskov, John
                Devereux.
 AUTHOR       Gribskov, Michael Ray.
              Devereux, John, 1947-
 PUBLISHER    New York : Stockton Press, c1991.
 DESCRIPT.    xv, 279 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
 NOTE         Includes bibliographical references and index.
 SUBJECT      Nucleotide sequence --Methodology.
              Amino acid sequence --Methodology.

Good luck!
Ruben
Dr. Ruben Donis
Dept. of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
202 VBS

University of Nebraska,
Lincoln, NE 68583-0905
Phone: 402-472-6063