Printing GCG graphics

Ruben Donis rdonis at UNL.EDU
Mon Dec 13 19:13:29 EST 1993

David  Womble writes:
>I have just installed GCG vn 7.3.1-UNIX on a Sun IPX.  We have no printer
>or plotter attached directly to the Sun, but most of our users have a
>laser printer attached to their PC or Mac used a terminal with NCSA
>telnet.  It is easy to print GCG graphics on the LaserJet attached to a PC
>by simply sending them to the passthrough printer port.  That doesn't seem
>to work for the Mac.
>
>One way that does work is to first dislplay the graph on the Mac's monitor
>in a TEK4107 window and then send it to the LaserJet 4M with Print
>Selection.  However, that doesn't seem to work for the LaserWriter, as
>Print Selection is not available.  With the same combination, Mac
>plus LaserWriter, printing text seems to work (although not with GCG
>ListFile).
>
>Are there any instructions available for printing GCG graphics with a Mac?

My 2 cents:
To get Postscript output from the GCG programs that can be sent to
virtually any postscript printer:

        The first thing that you must do is set up the GCG environment for
graphical Postscript output.  This is done by typing "Postscript" at the
GCG $ prompt.  For example:

$Postscript

        You will then be prompted to select the type of Postscript printer
is attached.  Press <return> and accept the default choice of the Laserwriter.
You will then be asked what port your Laserwriter is connected to.  Accept the
default answer <TERM>.

        The GCG environment is now setup for postscript printing.  You have
to do this each time you log in.  (you may wish to put these commands in the
LOGIN.COM file)

        To get Postscript file output you need to use the command line
argument:  /PLOT="ANYfilename.eps"

For example:

mapplot /plot="ANYfilemane.eps"

will save the mapplot output in a Postscript file called ANYfilename.eps.

        To print this file on a Apple LaserWriter printer,  download the file to
your Mac and check it:  Use kermit, xmodem, zmodem etc. or else use FTP to
transfer it.

Make sure that the first few lines of the Postscript file look something
like this after downloading:

%!PS-Adobe-1.0
%%Title: Graphics From Program MapPlot
%%For: Peter
%%CreationDate:
%%Creator: The Genetics Computer Group
%%DocumentFonts: Courier
%%Pages (atend)
%%BoundingBox 0 0 612 792
%%EndComments

Then use LaserWriter Font Utility (an application that comes with System 7)
in your Mac to download the EPS file to the printer Apple Laserwriter.  The
results are excellent, I know of no other methods that gives better
results.

Good luck,

Ruben.

Dr. Ruben Donis
Dept. of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
202 VBS
University of Nebraska,
Lincoln, NE 68583-0905
Phone: 402-472-6063