Prettyplot problems.

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Tue Dec 7 02:19:53 EST 1993

In article <2e09ck$877 at post.its.mcw.edu>, halligan at post.its.mcw.edu (Brian Halligan) writes:
|> naas1 at urz.unibas.ch wrote:
|> : Does anybody know how to open and modify an EPSF file on MAC that has
|> : been created with the GCG programm Prettyplot? I tryed several
                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Prettyplot is part of the EGCG package, and was written by Peter Rice in
GCG-style on the basis of PRETTY, which is a GCG program.

|> HPGL and use the HPGLtoPICT stack to convert the HPGL to a Mac PICT
|> format.  This file can then be opened and modified by NacDraw or other
|> programs.

Anyone who tries to transfer Graphics to PC- or graphics program vector
style should be aware that getting it into format XXX is always possible
but doesn't get you very far. Some Terminal emulators do this directly,
and some need sophisticated conversion. As the EPSF written by GCG plotting
routines doesn't paint a preview window which you could use to paint on
a postscript editor were needed in ordr to manipulate the graphics and
then you are at the same bottleneck as before: Thousands of little tiny
objects compose the graphics.

The hack which I recommended to Thierry (he's one of my customers) refers
to the effect that font=0 blanks out the text on prettyplot. (Pardon me
if this is a 'feature', I refer to it as a hack). The idea is that you
create TWO GCG graphics file with the program and save them separately,
one with font=0 and one with selection criteria which don't create any
boxes in this case (e.g., thresh=2.0). If you have only the line mode
graphics in one and all the characters in the other file those two will
perfectly superimposeif you load them into the same graphics program
(e.g. layers on MacDraw or similar). The manipulation of the boxes, then,
is much easier as they're selectable separately from the text.

Let me emphasize that this way of doing it bypasses an intrinsic feature
of GCG graphics output with a hack and should not be considered to be a
final solution. I guess the user community would certainly appreciate a
more sophisticated way of postprocessing GCG graphics but this is currently
out of the question.

Regards
Reinhard

--
DISCLAIMER
Note that  the software  mentioned  resembles  Computer  Program(s)  which
|   Klingelbergstrasse 70          | FAX     x41 61 261- 6760 or 267- 2078
|     CH 4056 Basel                | TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247    |
+------------- bioftp.unibas.ch is the SWISS EMBnet node ----------------+
                     ftp mirror at nic.switch.ch