Adrenal steroid production - Facilitating?

River Mouse riverthemouse at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 12 19:05:13 EST 1999

My workouts are, by necessity, very early in the morning - almost
immediately after waking. I'm beginning to really up the intensity, and so
I'm concerned about energy levels.

Most carbohydrates I can take in before the workout are either simple
sugars, which only provide a temporary boost, or complex carbohydrates which
aren't available in peak levels for hours after ingestion.

First:
What element(s) does the adrenal cortex need to facilitate its operations?
I'm a vegan, and a finicky eater at that, so I want to make sure I'm getting
the right foods here. I want to make sure that fat/amino acid conversion is
never stalled - a well-fed adrenal cortex helping me fall into my second
wind more easily, as it were.

Second:
For consistent energy this early, would it make more sense to wait until
after working out for my carbohydrates and rely on the gluconeogenesis state
my body's entered by morning to fuel me through the workout?

I'm worried that if I ingest enough simple carbohydrates to fuel me through
a more intense workout, my insulin's always going to spike and I'll hit a
wall when my body can't kick back to burning fats quickly enough.

Thanks, as always!