Send back undesired mail

Iain Wilson WILSON at edv1.boku.ac.at
Mon May 20 12:48:56 EST 1996

> Hi Glycoscientists!
> For quite a few times i am observing that lot of people who do not have any
> interest in our group are posting wired message in our forum. Please send those
> mails back to the sender if you think those mails are not wellcome to you.
> Manas Ray

If regular readers of the newsgroup do think there is a problem, then
do let me (or Barry, as co-discussion leaders) know. I hope that the
20 messages on the vitamin C thread will not be added to by
cross-posting of further replies to bionet.glycosci - there is a
problem with cross-posting: once someone gets it into their head to
widely disseminate their views, responders to that post must
purposefully change the list of newsgroups to be replied to.

Also there have been the chain-mails, make money fast and
'services' messages in the newsgroup, which are annoying and becoming
too frequent a part of the Internet.

If regular readers really feel there is a continuing annoyance, let the
co-discussion leaders know and we can consider whether the newsgroup
should be moderated: that means all posts would have to be OKed
before sending out; it also means that someone (presumably a
discussion leader) has complete control over the newsgroup's content.
The work involved in moderation wouldn't be too large, since the
volume of posts in not very high.

Finally, sending back messages can be problematic - there are
instances where undesired posts have forged headers, and so the post
has originated elsewhere and the address is of someone else or
doesn't exist: this though was not the case with the vitamin C
thread.

Best regards,

Iain
co-discussion leader
Iain Wilson                       Institut fuer Chemie
Tel: +43-1-47654-6065             Universitaet fuer Bodenkultur
Fax: +43-1-310-5176               Gregor-Mendel-Strasse 33
E-mail: wilson at edv1.boku.ac.at    A-1180, WIEN, Austria
http://www.boku.ac.at/chemie/bc1/staff/iw/iw.html