colostrum sialyltransferase

Craig Laferriere craig.laferriere at nrc.ca
Tue May 7 21:22:23 EST 1996

In article <31813D8E.71D0 at irl.cri.nz>, R.Furneaux at IRL.CRI.NZ (Richard
Furneaux) wrote:

> that sialy(2,3)lactose and sialyl(2,6)lactose are present at similar
amounts in
> colostrum, yet only the sialyl(2,6)transferase activity is present when
monitored using
> lactose acceptors.  Why would the enzyme responsible for the 2,3-lnked
trisaccharide be
> essentially absent?  Or perhaps the question is why would the
2,6-transferase be
> released while the 2,3-transferase is not?

Your result differ from the results I found here in Ottawa, Canada. I
found mostly 2,3 sialyl lactose in bovine colostrum. I'd have to dig out
my lab books to get the exact numbers, but if I recall corectly, it's at
least 10 to 1. It seems to me your method of determining 2,3 silayl
lactose may not be very sensitive. What are you using?

--
   _o                    Craig Laferriere
 _-\<,                   craig at canvax.on.ca
(_)/(_)                  ap666 at Freenet.carleton.ca