Increasing Parameters

Jamie Blustein jamie at obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca
Mon Sep 23 19:53:46 EST 1991

In article <2255 at tin.crc.ac.uk> dcurtis at crc.ac.uk (Dr. David Curtis) wrote:
>In article <2547.9109101336 at crc.ac.uk> pwoollar at crc.ac.uk (Peter Woollard x3296) writes:
>I agree this is a problem. You may be able to ameliorate it a bit by
>going through the pedigree and manually reducing the number of alleles
>by renaming alleles which are not involved in the same meiosis to have
>the same number. If all individuals are typed then it should be possible
>to only use four alleles for each marker, but this does not always work
>if some parents are of unknown type. It would be helpful if there were
>available a way to do this automatically. I don't know if such an
>algorithm has been described??

    I don't remember which of these two articles addresses the
compression problem:

Michael Braverman
`An Algorithm to Improve the Computational Efficency of Genetic
Linkage Analysis'
in Computers and Biomedical Research 18:24-36, 1985.

Susan R. Wilson
`A Major Simplification in the Preliminary Order of Linked Loci'
in Genetic Epidemiology 5:75-80, 1988.

--
    J. Blustein <jamie at uwo.ca>