PhD positions in Population Genetics
Over the past years, Vienna has developed into one of the leading centres
of population genetics. The Vienna Graduate School of Population Genetics
has been founded to provide a training opportunity for PhD students to
build on this excellent on site expertise.
We invite applications from highly motivated and outstanding students with
a background in one of the following disciplines: bioinformatics,
statistics, evolutionary genetics, functional genetics, theoretical and
experimental population genetics. Students from related disciplines, such
as physics or mathematics are also welcome to apply.
· Comparative population genomics in Drosophila species.
· Contribution of transposable elements to adaption during
· Developing new statistical tools for the identification of adaptive
· Evolution of gene expression.
· Evolution of phenotypic plasticity.
· Evolution of sex chromosomes in Drosophila species.
· Evolution of sperm competition in Drosophila.
· Functional characterization of adaptive QTLs.
· Maximum likelihood inference of population genetic parameters using
genome-wide data from nearly neutral sites.
· Sex-specific arms race between transposable elements and small RNAs.
Only complete applications (application form, CV, motivation letter,
university certificates, indication of the two preferred topics in a single
pdf) received by January 14, 2018 will be considered. Two letters of
recommendation need to be sent directly by the referees. Accepted PhD
students will receive a monthly salary based on currently EUR 2071 before
tax according to the regulations of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
All information about the about available topics, the training program and
the application procedure can be found at www.popgen-vienna.at