Can Genbank and PIR accession numbers ever be the same?

Francis Ouellette francis at monod.Biol.McGill.CA
Wed Apr 28 22:23:09 EST 1993

(I am not sure about all this cross-posting, but here it goes anyway!)

steffen at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu (David Steffen) writes:

>My question is, will a Genbank sequence and a PIR sequence ever have
>the same accession number - that is, do I need to use both the
>accession number and the database to insure a unique key?

not that I am really in authority, but I think I can quickly see that
there are many Genbank/EMBL entries which have many Swiss-Prot/PIR
entries assciated with them ... CHIII of yeast comes to mind, but many
many others do to.  A DNA sequence entry is not just one Open Reading
Frame, but a protein sequence entry usualy is.

regards,

francis