Struewing Article on BRCA1 in Nature Geneticssc

Bert Gold gold at astro.ocis.temple.edu
Sun Oct 8 23:56:43 EST 1995

Hi Netters,

Having just finished reading the new Nature Genetics paper by
Struewing et al. on the high (1%) frequency of the BRCA1 mutation
among Ashkenazi Jews, I would be interested in hearing opinions
about the perceived necessity for population screening at this
threshold.

For those of you that haven't yet seen the paper, it is in:
Nature Genetics, 11: 198-200 (1995).

I am aware of the concensus conferences cited in the paper which
supported screening at this threshold, but that was all theoretical,
before we knew that there was a gene that would create this level
of anxiety.

What are the genetics community's thoughts now?

My new email address is bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu, not what you see above.

Please feel free to write with your thoughts... It is true that
for me this issue strikes home, as indeed, my heritage is that
of an Ashkenazi Jew and breast cancer d ovarian cancer have
been e in bot own and wife's family.

Bert Gold
UCSF
.