Please help... got to make a phylogenetic tree (within 2 days), don't know how..

Sander Heijs s_k_heijs at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 2 20:33:33 EST 2000

Hi,

I hope somebody can help me with this problem....I've got several sequences
(DNA, 16 S) of various length in a text file, together with sequences of
know species (one text file with 60 species, one with 123 species). I've
made an important presentation in four days in France on which I want to
show the phylogenetic trees of these sequences. I've tried using programs as
phylip (but I don't know how it works...and nobody in our department can
tell me) and treeconw. The seqeunces are alligned with a program called
clustalX and converted to Phylip format and Treecon format. I really would
like to know how to use Phylip...(anybody can send me an e-mail of the
sequence of progs to use for constructing a tree with as starting point an
interleaved allignment ?). Treeconw seems a nice program, but when
calculating distances with bootstrap values the program crashes (don't know
why...tried removing some sequences and then it works ok....but some very
important (my own) sequences also make the prog. crash...perhaps they are
too short ??? app. 100 basepairs...whereas others are about 700..).
If anybody could help I would be very gratefull....so hope to hear
anything....

With regards,

Sander Heijs
University of Groningen