Loss of Chicago in Macintosh programs

Athel athel at ir2cbm.cnrs-mrs.fr
Mon Oct 6 17:01:13 EST 1997

Some (but not all) of my Macintosh programs cause the system font
(Chicago) to be replaced by Geneva in window titles etc. when they are
run as executable programs. This does NOT happen (ever) if they are run
directly from the compiler. It affects ALL windows, i.e. those belonging
to the Finder and all other applications that are running, not just
those belonging to the application that caused the problem; so
presumably I am overwriting (or failing to initialize properly)
something in the system. Most commercial applications do not correct the
problem if they are launched subsequently, and for a while I thought the
only cure was to reboot. However, at least one commercial program
(WriteNow) corrects it automatically when it is launched, though it does
nothing about it if it is running already. As far as I can detect the
replacement of Chicago by Geneva seems to be the only symptom, i.e. I
have had no system crashes that appear related to the problem, and the
programs that produce it sometimes run happily for hours. The problem
does not appear to be hardware-related: all the programs that do it at
all do it on a Power Macintosh (7100 or PowerBook 1400) or a 68000-based
machine (PowerBook 520). Nor is there any difference between recent
versions of the system (i.e. between 7.5.x or 7.6).

I haven't found anything that looks relevant in Inside Macintosh or
THINK Reference. At least, I've tried one or two things that looked as
if they might be relevant, but nothing happened. Any suggestions?

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Email: athel at bigfoot.com
Home page: http://ir2lcb.cnrs-mrs.fr/lcbpage/athel/homepage.htm