Computer Systems for the Life Sciences !?!?!

Phil J. Curtiss curtiss at umiacs.umd.edu
Fri May 10 11:20:51 EST 1991

As some of you may know the University of Maryland Institute for Advanced
Computer Studies is currently looking into the issues surrounding the
formation of a biocomputation lab here at the College Park campus.  This lab
would contain computer systems and software designed to allow biologists
(mainly) to experiment with computational and mathematical models of
biological processes.  In addition the lab may be of use to other
disciplines.

At this point, it is not clear what biologists would find useful in a
computer system.  That is to say, `performance' and `ease of use', seem to
be trade offs in most computer systems when applied to the biological
sciences.  We would like to put systems together in our lab that are both
easy to use as well as deliver supercomputer performance.  Our first system
to attempt this will involve creating a hardware and software link between a
Connection Machine CM-2 and a Stardent 3020 series machine.  We hope to be
able to create the system in such a way that the CM appears to be as
transparent as possible while still providing power and the flexibility to
alter the users project.

My question is:  In your opinion, what would make an ideal computer system
for your research efforts in terms of performance, ease of use,
accessibility, hardware and software, etc.?