Is it Metabolic Control THEORY or Metabolic Control ANALYSIS

Athel Cornish-Bowden athel at ir2cbm.cnrs-mrs.fr
Mon Aug 28 06:26:19 EST 2000

Herbert wrote:

>So perhaps I/we should now call MCA, MCT?

I agree with all of what David said in his original message, so I won't
repeat the arguments here.

However, I think it would be a mistake to use "metabolic control theory"
for "metabolic control analysis" in all contexts, because I think there are
two separate (but overlapping) bodies of ideas. As I see them, metabolic
control theory is a theory of how metabolic systems are controlled (and
David's message summarizes the main points in that theory), whereas
metabolic control analysis is a collection of analytical methods that are
used to apply and develop the theory. We therefore need both terms.

athel

Athel Cornish-Bowden
athel at ibsm.cnrs-mrs.fr
http://ir2lcb.cnrs-mrs.fr/~athel/homepage.htm