Muscle vs. fat catabolism?

Zorro berriz at husc.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 28 11:09:36 EST 1995

Hello.

What biochemical signals determine which of a mammal's various caloric
stores will be consumed under conditions of caloric intake deficit?  I
am particularly interested in the body's choice between burning fat
and burning muscle.  (I realize, of course, that probably both happen
simultaneously, so a more precise formulation of the question would
be, what determines their relative catabolic rate?)

I would greatly appreciate any pointers to the scientific literature
on this topic.

Z.