redox enthalpy and entropy

pnicholl at SPARTAN.AC.BROCKU.CA pnicholl at SPARTAN.AC.BROCKU.CA
Tue May 17 11:25:55 EST 1994

Colleagues - I am trying to teach something about electron transfer in
haemoproteins to some graduate students and have divided the topic into
equilibrium and kinetic aspects. There have been beautiful studies of
temperature effects on kinetics of electron transfer from room temperature
to liquid helium in the context of tunneling and temperature-dependent and
independent processes & related activation energies. However I cannot find
any readily available discussion of temperature effects upon redox
potentials in classical oxidation-reduction theory (other than the
ubiquitous RT parameter). That is - what are the net entropy and enthalpy
changes for typical electron and hydrogen transfer events? Can anyone out
there suggest a good reference? P.N.
Peter Nicholls.