Tox. Research & Internet?

dmccauliff on BIX dmccauliff at BIX.com
Mon Mar 7 22:44:58 EST 1994

	I feel I should point out that I am only playing devil's
advocate here.  As A matter of fact, I am the one fighting for
research access to the Internet (unfortunately, I find myself
contrary to the very department that pays me).  I would love
to give them complete access right now, but the question still
remains; How do I convince a corporate IS department that allowind
(sorry, 'allowing') researchers access to the Internet outweighs
the risk of computer viruses and potential 'ethical misconduct'?

	Citing the fact of increased feedback and the ability to
detect answers that normally would not pertain to the subject in
question is useful.  But eventually a library staff will accomplish
the same thing (it may take longer, but you have not wasted the time
of a PHd in the process - (I hear them saying it now :))).  The
FDA supplies an 800 line for just the same access as you get from
Internet (either way, I found it very boring to read...lots of
'regulation' info, little about the research end of things).  MedLine
(Grateful Med) is a 'pay-per-view' service ('...and accessable
through a modem, without the risk of computer viruses.').  At each
specific example, I hit the standard replies.

	The researchers are quite capable of determining there needs.
But a war is brewing and we need ammunition.  Any Ideas?

	David McCauliff (dmccauliff at bix.com)
	Freedom of Choice for All People in All Matters.