BIOSCI address database surpasses 1000 names in less than 2 months!!

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Tue Jun 29 18:44:22 EST 1993

I am happy to announce that we now have 1007 entries in our BIOSCI
user address database.  The latest version has just been added to our
ftp area on net.bio.net and will be indexed tonight for WAIS/waismail.

If you haven't signed up yet, please complete and return the form
below.

I'd also like to point out the following use to members of the various
research communities using BIOSCI:  if you enter the mailing list name
or names on one of the comment: lines in the form below, it is
possible to use WAIS/waismail to retrieve an address database for that
particular group, e.g., using waismail the query might be (selecting
the maximum possible output or "depth"):

source biologists-addresses
depth 1000
ARABIDOPSIS

to pull up members of the ARABIDOPSIS community.

I recommend using the mailing list name (see below) instead of the
USENET names because the periods in the USENET names might cause some
confusion in the WAIS output.  Of course you can enter as few or as
many of these list names as you wish on the comment: lines but please
restrict yourself to 80 characters per line.  If you have already
submitted an entry and wish to add this information, please feel free
to submit a revision.

ACEDB-SOFT                 bionet.software.acedb
AGEING                     bionet.molbio.ageing
AGROFORESTRY               bionet.agroforestry
ARABIDOPSIS                bionet.genome.arabidopsis
BIOFORUM                   bionet.general
BIO-INFORMATION-THEORY     bionet.info-theory
BIONAUTS                   bionet.users.addresses
BIONEWS                    bionet.announce
BIO-JOURNALS               bionet.journals.contents
BIO-MATRIX                 bionet.molbio.bio-matrix
BIO-SOFTWARE               bionet.software
CHROMOSOMES                bionet.genome.chromosomes
COMPUTATIONAL-BIOLOGY      bionet.biology.computational
DROSOPHILA                 bionet.drosophila
EMBL-DATABANK              bionet.molbio.embldatabank
EMPLOYMENT                 bionet.jobs
GDB                        bionet.molbio.gdb
GENBANK-BB                 bionet.molbio.genbank
GENETIC-LINKAGE            bionet.molbio.gene-linkage
HIV-MOLECULAR-BIOLOGY      bionet.molbio.hiv
HUMAN-GENOME-PROGRAM       bionet.molbio.genome-program
IMMUNOLOGY                 bionet.immunology
INFO-GCG                   bionet.software.gcg
JOURNAL-NOTES              bionet.journals.note
METHODS-AND-REAGENTS       bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
MOLECULAR-EVOLUTION        bionet.molbio.evolution
NEUROSCIENCE               bionet.neuroscience
N2-FIXATION                bionet.biology.n2-fixation
PHOTOSYNTHESIS             bionet.photosynthesis
PLANT-BIOLOGY              bionet.plants
POPULATION-BIOLOGY         bionet.population-bio
PROTEIN-ANALYSIS           bionet.molbio.proteins
PROTEIN-CRYSTALLOGRAPHY    bionet.xtallography
RAPD                       bionet.molbio.rapd
SCIENCE-RESOURCES          bionet.sci-resources
TROPICAL-BIOLOGY           bionet.biology.tropical
VIROLOGY                   bionet.virology
WOMEN-IN-BIOLOGY           bionet.women-in-bio
YEAST                      bionet.molbio.yeast

Also PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THE FIELD IDENTIFIERS IN OUR FORM, e.g., if
you don't have any comments please do not delete any of the five
comment: headers in the form - just leave those lines alone.

You can also use Dan Jacobson's gopher site to fill out the address
database form as follows:

> To add yourself to the database just point your
> gopher client at merlot.welch.jhu.edu and select the following:
>
> -->  15. Searching For Biologists/
>
>  -->  9.  E-mail Addresses of Biosci-Bionet Users/
>
>   -->  1.  Add (or Correct) Your Address to the BIOSCI User Address
> Data..
>

> And fill out the form.

or Rob Harper's gopher site in Europe as follows:

> Europeans can point their gopher client at gopher.csc.fi and add their
> information to the database. All entries will be mailed directly to
> Dave for incorporation in a wais source.
>
> The path to the questionare is as follows.
>
>    ---> 10. Finnish EMBnet BioBox/
>
>         ---> 8.  FAQ Files/
>
>                               FAQ Files
>
>       1.  EMBnet: Information.
>       2.  EMBnet: Internet resources guide.
>       3.  A Biologist's Guide to Internet Resources/
>       4.  All FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) Searches and Archives/
>   --->5.  Bionauts Address Database (questionaire) <TEL>

The address database is kept in the WAIS source "biologists-addresses"
at net.bio.net and is updated nightly (a registration has been sent in
but it has not been added to the main WAIS directory-of-servers yet).
The database can be accessed through our waismail server (send "help"
to waismail at net.bio.net to get started) and is also available for ftp
from net.bio.net in pub/BIOSCI/biosci-user.addresses.

				kristoff at net.bio.net

	       **** BIOSCI USER ADDRESS DIRECTORY ****

Please take this opportunity to add your name and address information
to the BIOSCI User Address Database if you have not already done so.

Below is the address form that we would like each reader of the
BIOSCI/bionet newsgroups to complete and return if you would like to
be listed in our database.  The database will serve as a directory
that will enable biologists, who are currently using (or even just
reading) the BIOSCI newsgroups, to look up e-mail addresses and other
information about our users.

The address database will be indexed for WAIS and waismail access
(waismail is our WAIS e-mail server, more below) and will also be
available for access via other gopher sites if they wish to permit it.
The raw unindexed data will be available for FTP from net.bio.net and
is atomized sufficiently to allow import into your local RDBMS should
you so desire.

Please carefully follow the instructions for completing the form
below and return it to either of the following two addresses
(whichever is more convenient for you).  Thanks in advance for taking
the time to complete and return the form.

Addresses for returning forms         Location        Network
-----------------------------         --------        -------
biovote at net.bio.net                   U.S.A.          Internet/BITNET
biovote at daresbury.ac.uk               U.K.            JANET

	     MAKING SURE THAT YOUR INFORMATION IS CURRENT

This notice will be mailed bimonthly to each newsgroup.  You should
check our WAIS source or waismail e-mail server from time-to-time to
see if your address information is still up-to-date.  Send the message

help

to waismail at net.bio.net for instructions on using waismail.  Leave the
Subject: line in your message blank.

	    IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Please enter all responses after the : on each line, leaving one (1)
blank space after the : (i.e., before the start of your text).

Please do NOT extend your responses past the end of each line (80
characters) or alter any of the field identifiers such as "first name: ".
Several lines are provided at the end of the form for comments, but,
please adhere to the line length restriction.

On the date: line, please enter the date in the DD-MM-YY format, e.g.,
05-05-93 for 5 May 1993.  This line will tell others when the
information was last updated.  Please be sure to include the 0's for
single digit days or months, e.g., 05-05-93, not 5-5-93.

Note that the "e-mail network: " line below is for specifying, e.g.,
"Internet," "BITNET," "EARN," "JANET," or whatever other network that
your computer may be on.

If you are uncertain about any field, please feel free to leave it
blank, but please DO NOT DELETE the field identifier from the form!

In the first field below, "New information or Update ...", please
enter "N" if this is the first time that you have registered in the
directory or "U" if you are correcting a listing that you sent to us
previously.

Thanks again for your cooperation!