Documentation of DNA sequence

John Barlow john_q_barlow at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 22 11:31:27 EST 2003

I use GeneStudio.  It's not only much cheaper, but allows me to format
the sequences in the Pretty viewer and either copy/paste them to Word
or save them in the *.rtf format that can be directly opened by Word.
Some adjustments are necessary, e.g., setting the margins of the page
or the font size.  The line length and many other parameters, such as
coloring of the bases can be set in the Pretty viewer and others very
easily in Word.

Of course, Lasergene/DNAStar is a very good software package and I use
it for more than 10 years, first on a Mac and then on a PC.  The
problem with it (apart from the price) is that the age of this package
really shows.  Despite these problems, Lasergene beats Vector NTI and
the horrible and overpriced Sequencher package hands down.

John

Dirk Müller <Kraweel at web.de> wrote in message news:<gv86kvs8fgnct8d95ifq2gppn9481loscg at 4ax.com>...
> A very interesting question I ask myself a lot of times. DNASTAR is as
> userUNfriendly as one can think of (especially when ypu keep in mind
> the exorbitant price of the package!). Missing export functions to the
> common text editors is only on point on a large list of missing
> details. I usually copy/paste the sequence into Word and do all the
> formatin myself. Quite time consuming I couldn't find another way.
> Dirk....
> On 11 Aug 2003 14:34:44 +0100, fbiol at web.de (Faro) wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >does anybody know how to transfer a DNA sequence from DNAstar to MS
> >Word for documentation? The sequence should be with gaps every ten
> >bases and numbers of the position (or similar).
> >Is it possible to show the amino acid sequence simultanously in every
> >second lane? Is it possible to edit the sequence in word (eg.
> >different colors for conserved regions...)??
> >
> >Thank you in advance!!
> >
> >Faro
> >---
---