IUBio

GDE on DEC vs Linux

Brian Fristensky frist at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu May 13 10:23:31 EST 1999

Jerry Learn wrote:

> [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
>    the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]
>
> We are considering getting a second UNIX box for our lab to supplement
> our aging Sun SPARCstation. We are considering a couple of alternatives
> both of which would have multiple processors: either a Dell running
> Linux on Xeon 500 MHz processors or a DEC alpha clone running Digital
> UNIX. I expect that the alpha clone would have a performance edge but
> that is not what I'm enquiring about here.
>
> One concern that we have is that many of us in the lab use Steve
> Smith's GDE package on the Sun and we would like to continue. I can
> find a port of this package to Linux on the web, but I am having
> difficulty finding the DEC port that use to be available. If anyone has
> suggestions on what course to follow here, I would be very grateful to
> hear them.

Considering how cheap the new Ultrasparcs are, I wonder if you
would save any money by going to a Linux box? Or, if you do
save money, is it enough to justify supporting two flavors
of Unix? My advice is keep things simple. Minimize the number
of platforms you have to support. Also, Linux is a fine OS, but
it's not Solaris.

Another thing to consider is that Sun often has upgrade
paths that give you some trade-in value for your old
Sparcstation.

It is also worth mentioning Solaris is probably still the
platform of choice among people who develop non-commercial
molecular biology software, and for that matter, don't
forget that GCG also runs under Solaris.
Brian Fristensky                |  Original entry for Microsoft Windows,
Department of Plant Science     |  in the Hitchiker's Guide to
University of Manitoba          |  the Galaxy: "Harmless".
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |
frist at cc.umanitoba.ca           |  After the release of Windows NT, this
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |  was changed to "Mostly harmless".
FAX:            204-261-5732    |
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~frist/