IUBio

postscript -> GIF converter for UNIX

Chris Boyd chrisb at hgu.mrc.ac.uk
Thu May 6 08:54:06 EST 1999

Carla Kuiken (kuiken at lanl.gov) wrote:
: Does anyone know of a commandline postscript-to-GIF converter for UNIX
: that gives decent results? We use program called 'convert' at the
: moment, but the quality of the resulting GIFs is variable and sometimes
: truly atrocious.

Have you tried raising the resolution?

% convert -density 150x150 fred.ps gif:fred.gif

or similar usually gives good results. The default density is only
72x72.

The trouble is that convert and gs don't do any anti-aliasing, so you
get jagged text. A horrendous freeware way of getting anti-aliasing is
to (i) convert the image to PDF using ps2pdf in gs, (ii) display the
resulting PDF using acroread with General Preferences set to "smooth
text and monochrome images", (iii) capture (ugh) the resulting image
from the screen using xwd or similar and (iv) use convert again to make
a .gif version of the .xwd file. Well, I didn't say it was easy.

The best solution, however, is to steer clear of bit-mapped imagery and
stick to vector graphics.

Best wishes,
--
Chris Boyd                      | from (but not \  MRC Human Genetics Unit
Christopher.Boyd at hgu.mrc.ac.uk  | on behalf of) /      Crewe Rd, Edinburgh