IUBio

software for reading sequence from PDF file

Alan Williams Alan at Avocado.UCR.edu
Sat Mar 20 10:17:57 EST 1999

If you have access to a UNIX or Linux machine you can use
pdftops which is part of the xpdf program as of version 0.7
(see http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/). Another option is the
ghostscript package ( pdf2ps | ps2ascii ). There are some
patches to allow these programs to deal with compression and
encryption as well.

-Alan

Tvenkatesh at synapticcorp.com wrote:
: I would like to know if there is software that can convert PDF file into
: text files.
: Specifically we want to extract  sequences from patent documents which are
: stored as images in PDF
: format. We tried Acorobat reader, it did not help.

Alan Williams           (finger alan at avocado.ucr.edu for pgp public key)
University of California, Riverside   "Where observation is concerned,
Dept. of Botany and Plant Sciences     chance favors the prepared mind."
Alan at Avocado.UCR.edu                               -- Louis Pasteur