IUBio

MolBio OS?

Bernard P. Murray, PhD bpmurray*STUFFER* at socrates.ucsf.edu
Wed Mar 3 18:16:11 EST 1999

In article <1kdjb7.p9n.ln at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de>, Cornelius Krasel
<krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:

> To put this soon-to-be OS flame war into a geographical perspective, one
> should hasten to add that most European labs tend to use Win* computers
> where U.S. labs tend to use Macs. The reason is simply that Apple USA
> has been much more supportive to the academic environment (and to customers
> in general) than for example Apple Germany. iMacs in the U.S. are priced
> competitively; iMacs in Germany are not.
> --Cornelius.

A good reminder.  In the labs I worked in or visited in the UK
I found that many people used PCs but *wanted* Macs (this was in
the days of Win3.1 and before widescale networking).
     Another phenomenon I noticed is that there appears to be
an east/west split in the U.S. when it comes to academic
computing with a preponderence of PCs on the east coast and
Macs on the west.  I am told this is because Apple's donation
of Macs to schools was predominantly in the west.