IUBio

MacOS emulation for PC's?

Zophonias O. Jonsson zjons at vetbio.unizh.ch
Tue Jun 1 08:07:08 EST 1999

In article
<1A7A7B77BFD727E7.D8C2BFE71705636B.8EE2C69D3F246534 at library-proxy.airnews.net>,
chiavarini at casaccia.enea.it wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 1999 23:20:02 +0200, Andi <Andreas.Weinhaeusel at univie.ac.at>
> wrote:
>
> >Does somebody know if there is a MacOs emulation programm available for
> >IBM compatible PCs?
> >Please let me know if there is one and where I can get it! Thank you!
> >weinhausl at ccri.univie.ac.at
>
> The best (and maybe the only) available emulators are Executor (www.ardi.com)
> and Fusion (www.microcode-solutions.com).

There is a third one, which I can't remember the name of, but it is the
worst of them so don't bother.

> They use completely different
> approaches: Executor creates a pseudo-Mac shell for running Mac programs and
> relies upon a built-from-scratch emulation (that is no Mac ROMs are
needed), at
> the expense of a quite low compatibility; on the other hand, Fusion emulates
> 68040 code and uses true Mac ROMs images for the system emulation
(therefore you
> must have a Mac to build ROM images and use Fusion).
> Personally, I do prefer Fusion, as it gives you an almost complete
compatibility
> and peripherals support.
>
> Good luck!

The bottom line is that these emulators emulate 680x0 processors and are
therefore quite useless at emulating a lot of current mac software which
is power PC only.  I tried out executor and must say that the only
"useful" thing that I could do with it was to play Jewelbox.

Sincerely

Zophonias

Zophonias O. Jonsson
Institut fur Veterinarbiochemie               Tel: (41-1)-635-54-76
Universitat Zurich-Irchel                     Fax: (41-1)-635-68-40
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich
Switzerland                            <http://www.unizh.ch/~zjons>