IUBio

DNA Strider (native) format?

Bernard P. Murray, PhD bpmurray*STUFFER* at socrates.ucsf.edu
Mon Nov 16 18:44:48 EST 1998

Hello there,

     Could anyone enlighten me as to the structure of the
"native" (non-text-saved) DNA Strider file?  I need to use
such files on PC's and unix boxes.  A quick look reveals
that the sequence should be fairly simple to extract (I
can do it manually) but I would like to automate the
process.  The sequence seems to start at a fixed offset
into the file but I don't know if the length is in the
header or if there is a magic terminating character.
     I will probably only want to do this for DNA sequences,
I really only need the sequence itself (but circular/linear
and/or comment lines would be a bonus), and the version
of Strider in question is apparently 1.2.  I am very aware
of the wonderful readseq so maybe someone has expanded this
for the native Strider files.
     Any hints gratefully received,
          Bernard
--