IUBio

WWW sites for contig assembly or restriction enzyme mapping?

Harry Mangalam mangalam at uci.edu
Tue May 28 20:02:09 EST 1996

In article <Pine.OSF.3.93.960522143112.1905B-100000 at saturn.ebi.ac.uk>,
"Rab A. Harper" <harper at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 May 1996, Doug Eernisse wrote:
>
> > A friend without usenet access has just lost access to the
> > Intelligenetics Suite programs "GEL" and "SEQ" asked me if
> > there are WWW or freeware software (any platform) available to
> > perform contig assembly and restriction enzyme mapping. I didn't
> > know of any.  Do you?

The command-line program CAP (CONTIG ANALYSIS Program (?)) performs
amazingly well, is VERY simple to use and is freeware from:

ftp://ftp.bio.indiana.edu/molbio/align
(I believe it's also incorporated into Don Gibert's Seqpup)

Also, there are 2 other restriction enzyme analysis programs that might be
of interest.
1) Bruce Fristensky's 'intrest' and 'bachrest' programs @
 http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~psgendb/programs.html

2) 'tacg', my simple (and yet strangely compelling B)  command-line prog
for unixy systems @

ftp://mamba.bio.uci.edu/pub/tacg            (source code and binaries for
                                             several systems)

Soon coming to a Web Browser near you (far easier than doing separate
GUI's for each platform...), much like the aforementioned Webcutter.

Cheers
Harry
--
Harry J Mangalam, MolBio+Biochem / Dev+Cell Bio, Rm 4201, BioSciII  UC Irvine, Irvine, CA, 92717, (714) 824-4824, fax (714) 824 8598