IUBio

GDE and LINUX

Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga humberto at momo.uthscsa.edu
Tue May 28 11:07:16 EST 1996

    NJP> In article <4o3jvm$832 at news.orst.edu>,
    NJP> gordond at ava.bcc.orst.edu (Douglas Gordon) writes:
    >> I have just installed Linux (Slackware 3.0) and I am looking
    >> for some help in getting the program GDE set up and running.  I
    >> have found the binaries, but the program says it is looking is
    >> for //libX11.so.3 and never starts up.  Has anyone set up GDE

    NJP> GDE uses OpenLook xview libraries, so I will not install on
    NJP> unmodified Linux.

I don't think that's the problem.  My unmodified Redhat 3.0.3 linux
has all the xview libraries installed:

[humberto at quijote humberto]$ ls /usr/openwin/lib/
help               libolgx.so.3.2.0   libxview.so.3.2.0  ttyswrc
libolgx.a          libxview.a         openwin-menu
libolgx.so         libxview.so        text_extras_menu
libolgx.so.3       libxview.so.3      textswrc

The library he's looking for is libX11, which is the generic X11
library.  I think version 3 was used by X11R5 on linux.  On my box
it's:

/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib/libX11.so.3

And he can try symlinking it into / or /lib and running ldconfig -v to
see if he can't get it to be picked up by GDE.
--
Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga
Cellular & Structural Biology
humberto at momo.uthscsa.edu