IUBio

The Java Lattice

Luca Ida Giovanni TOLDO (Ph.D.) toldo at embl-heidelberg.de
Sun May 26 15:26:38 EST 1996

Tony Fu wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> For those interested, a JAVA-based Web service for interactive
> macromolecular graphics for crystal lattice can be found at:
>
> http://laue.biochem.ubc.ca:8080/cgi-bin/ssis/kelowna/latte.html
>
> In order to use the service, you need a JAVA-enabled browser such as
> Netscape 2.0 (Java supported platforms only).
>
> Have fun. :)
>
> Tony
Dear Tony,
nice work, but probably you want to improve it a bit ... infact the
Java 3D PDB Viewer of Scott Le Grand (http://www.mbi.ucla.edu/people/
legrand/pdb.html) is definetively faster to load and less "jumpy"
in performance. A suggestion, if you call it "lattice viewer"
why do not you add the possibility of looking at the symm-related
and to the molecules in the neighboring cells ? Obviously you know
the math needed, and with that add on you applet would gain a niche
still free ...

Crystallographic regards for the good work anyhow !

Dr. Luca Ida Giovanni TOLDO (Ph.D.)
European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Computer Group
Heidelberg
Germany

p.s. if you are going to produce more Bio- applets, do not hesitate
contacting me directly to include them in the "Java-based Molecular
Biologists Workbench" which I am keeping up at
http://www.embl-heideberg.de/~toldo/JaMBW.html