IUBio

Genbank update software

Heikki Lehv=?iso-8859-1?Q?=E4slaiho Heikki.Lehvaslaiho at csc.fi
Thu Feb 29 01:33:49 EST 1996

Fred Criscuolo wrote:

> We would like to maintain an up to date copy of Genbank's dbest database
> locally.  While I've seen instructions on how to download Genbank's databses
> via ftp, I've haven't found any tools to apply the daily updates.  Pointers to
> applicable software (UNIX) and/or documentation will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.

The way to do it is to use FTP with the help of a Perl program mirror to check for
changes in remote directory. You then put a shell script, which starts up the
mirroring and in case of changes reformats your local dababase, in you crontab.

The official places for mirror are:

        src.doc.ic.ac.uk [146.169.2.1]
                directory: computing/archiving/mirror
                (shortcut packages/mirror)

        ftp.th-darmstadt.de [130.83.55.75]
                directory: pub/networking/mirror

        ftp.sun.ac.za [146.232.212.2]
                directory: pub/packages/mirror

If you need to format dbest to GCG, there was earlier this month a series of
postings with subject "GenEMBL Update script" in bionet.software.gcg. Check that
thread out.

        -Heikki
--