IUBio

Fruit flies in your Java (gene mapplet software)

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Fri Feb 16 12:10:50 EST 1996

Fruit Flies in your Java

There is now available a preliminary mapplet of Drosophila genes,
aberrations, and clones, created with the new Java network
programming language. This is under development, expect to see
improvements over the coming months.

See these portable FlyBase information servers for this mapplet:

  http://flybase.bio.indiana.edu:82/maps/java/
  http://www.angis.su.oz.au:7081/maps/java/
  http://www.embl-ebi.ac.uk:7081/maps/java/   (available later today w/ luck)

or locate the "Graphical maps (java - testing)" entry in the
Maps section of one of the above servers.  Compare this
Java map if you like to the HTML-imagemap view of this same data
found thru the "Main map (html)" item.  Java maps have much more
potential for interactivity and customization.  Eventually
this Java map will be about 10 times faster because it will
transfer only about 1/10 the data that the GIF map uses (I still
have to optimize this data transfer).

If you see no map display, it is likely that your network
client doesn't support Java applets.  At this time, the only
Java-capable network clients I'm aware of are Netscape version
2 for MSWin95/WinNT and for XWindows (Sun Solaris and a few
other Unixes). Netscape for Macintosh doesn't yet run Java
applets.

Java source code and data is available there to help anyone
working on similar gene map displays.

- Don

-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu