IUBio

[Q]:?how to run MAC SW on PC (Windows95)

Lionel Gilet gilet at rhapsody.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 1 17:49:41 EST 1996

In article <4eprqm$kes at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, Ivo Wiesner  <nfix at jcu.cz> wrote:

>Hello Netters out there!
>
>Could anybody inform me:
>
>1. if there is any emulator for PC (Windows) platform
>which enables running MAC software?
>2.how difficult work represents to rewrite Mac software for Windows PC?

I have no idea concerning the first point.

As far as rewriting a Mac software for Windows PC, it really depends
on the language used, the size of the program and what it does.
What really takes time is the user interface.
I did that once. The Mac software was written in object-oriented c/c++
with Symantec librairies. It was basicallly reading a file generated by
Excell, doing some calculation and displaying a bunch of graphic windows with
a floating window that would display the coordinates of the point you click
on.
I rewrote the Software for Windows in object-oriented c/c++ using the
Microsoft Foundation Classes. Without knowing the MFC at all before, it took
me two months to do it.

There might be some code generators nowdays that would do most of the work for
you, but i have not being programming for a while so and i do not know how
good this would be.

Hope, I have been of any help.

Bye,

Lionel