IUBio

Any Programm to create 3d animation by microscopic pic's

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Fri Dec 27 17:44:29 EST 1996

In article
<Pine.A32.3.91.961223201353.15332A-100000 at amalia-atm.rz.uni-frankfurt.de>,
gbenro at amalia-atm.rz.uni-frankfurt.de says...

>Hello,
>Is there any Programm to create animations in 3d by multiple microscopic
>frames in formates (like tif, gif, jpg, bmp, etc. but normaly tif)
>You may imagine that this slides of pic's will be stacked above each
>other pic in certain order....
>If you know any programm which fit to this problem (to solve), feel free
>to conect me ...

I wanted to do a similar thing (animating protein molecular dynamics
from a series of still frames) and eventually had success with GIF
Construction Set - a shareware program from Alchemy Mindworks Inc.
(http://www.mindworkshop.com).  This makes use of an oft unused
facility in the GIF89 standard that permits reading and looping
different frames in the same file.  The program allows the assembly
of the frames into a valid GIF89 file which can be viewed with the same
program or eg. Netscape.  Compared to "true" animation (eg. MPEG) the
downside is that the files can get very big and when frames have to be
read from disk the animation can become a little jerky.  If you don't
push it too hard the results can be quite pleasing.
	My route for the animation was;
CHARMM dynamics -> homemade utility to get individual coordinates
-> RasMol (modified to allow GIF saving in script mode) -> GifCon
then viewed with GifCon or Netscape 2.02
	I'm using the 16-bit Windows 3.1x version and I'm not sure what
other platforms are supported.  If I remember correctly they also
have a quick'n'dirty unix command line utility for assembling (but not
viewing) the files.  This compiles fine under Linux but I haven't put
it through its paces.
	I hope that this is of some help,
		Bernard

[I have no commercial links with Alchemy Mindworks - and I'll register
after the holidays guys, honest :-) ]

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.