IUBio

UNIX tar format to ASCII

David Womble dwomble at cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Thu Dec 5 08:42:03 EST 1996

detar, extar, and others for dos are available at:
http://oak.oakland.edu/simcgi-bin/dosfind.cgi?tar
You can also search for Windows apps at Oak if you like.

Jose R. Valverde (txomsy at cnb.uam.es) wrote:
: In article <01bbe1ac$2be93970$f308b6cc at monahan>,
: 	"John Monahan" <monahan at dnai.com> writes:
: > Could somebody please point me to where I could download a PC/Windows95
: > compatible program to read a UNIX
: > .tar compressed file and convert it to simple ASCII.
: >

: I submitted (many years ago) a DETAR program for MS-DOS to the EMBL
: software archives. It had the advantage that it also corrected CR/LF
: on the fly.

: Dunno if it will still be around, but if it is, it should be in
: ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/software/dos

: I don't have any old copy around any longer (broke free from M$-world
: long ago, and happy I am, man).

: 				jr

--
David D. Womble                       Phone:  313-577-2374
Center for Molecular Medicine and     Fax:    313-577-6200
Genetics, Wayne State University      E-mail: dwomble at cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
5047 Gullen Mall, Detroit, MI 48202   http://cmmg.biosci.wayne.edu/