IUBio

GDE on DEC Alpha

mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu
Wed Dec 4 13:37:30 EST 1996

In article <E1vxG0.451 at ebi.ac.uk>, bshomer at ebi.ac.uk (Benny Shomer) writes:
>Andrew Gentles (pdzajg at evol.gene.nott.ac.uk) wrote:
>: Has anybody succeeded in mutilating the source code of GDE enough to get
>: it to compile and run on a DEC alpha under Digital Unix (i.e. OSF/1) ?
>
>Andrew,
>
>Regretfully, you can't do it. GDE relies on the xview libraries which are
>SUNOS specific and are not available for other platforms (as far as I
>know).

Well, you can get the Xview code, whether or not you can make it work is
another question.  If you have not done it yet and you have GCG, I wouldn't
bother, as GDE is being merged with the WPI in the next GCG release.
Since that does run on Alphas (either Unix or OpenVMS), your problem would
be solved.  The reference for that is, hmm...., here:

   http://www.gcg.com/attractions/seqlab.html

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu