IUBio

Sequence alignment documentation

Francis Durst francis.durst at bota-ulp.u-strasbg.fr
Fri Aug 16 10:46:36 EST 1996

In article <2016.9608152141 at dse> o.gallay at ic.ac.uk writes:
>From: o.gallay at ic.ac.uk
>Subject: Sequence alignment documentation
>Date: 15 Aug 1996 14:41:23 -0700

>Hi.
>Does anyone out there know of a program that will draw a frame around
>homologous segments of sequence in alignments, ie. like "prettybox" but
>without the shading?  I've often seen this sort of frame in publications, but
>everyone I know thinks this has to be done by hand.
>Please e-mail as well as post!

>Oliver Gallay
>Biochemistry Department
>Imperial College
>London SW7 2AY
>UK
>Tel. +44-171-5895111 x55202
>Fax. +44-171-5945255
Alscript, found at http://geoff.biop.ox.ac.uk/ and running on UNIX and DOS
(maybe more) will do what you want and much more. The program is a pain to use
(pardon Geoff) because as the name implies it is a scripting interpreter, but
the result is well worth the sweat.
You need a postscript printer (or Ghoscript if you have an inkjet thing).

Francis

Dr. Francis Durst CNRS / Universite Louis Pasteur
Dept Cell. Mol. Enzymology
Plant Mol. Biol. Inst.
F-67083 Strasbourg, France