IUBio

Program for testing incongruences

Huelsenbeck ednah at mws4.biol.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 25 20:34:53 EST 1996

In article <317E4A44.4E0E at iastate.edu>, Tosak Seelanan <tosak at iastate.edu>
wrote:

 ..  Dear,
 ..
 ..  I have data sets from the same set of taxa, and these data sets gave
 ..  different phylogeneies.  I would like to get a phylogeny based on
 ..  combined data set, but I have to prove whether incongruence between data
 ..  sets is not significant.  I do know that Dr. James S. Farris et al.
 ..  (Cladistic 10:315-319, 1995) described the use of U statistic to test
 ..  statistically whether incongruence is significant and they used program
 ..  called "arn" to do so.  I would appreciate any suggestion to get this
 ..  program (or similar ones) or e-mail address of Dr. James S. Farris (or
 ..  other authors listed in the paper) so that I can contact him directly.
 ..
 ..  Thank you very much.
 ..  --
 ..  -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 ..  Tosak Seelanan           |     Department of Botany, Bessey Hall 353,
 ..  tosak at iastate.edu        |  Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011,U.S.A.

I can't help you with Farris's program, but I do know that the next
version of PAUP (PAUP 4.0) will perform this test (under the option
"Combinability test").  Maybe the program will be out in time for
you to use it?

John Huelsenbeck

                       John & Edna Huelsenbeck
johnh at mws4.biol.berkeley.edu             ednah at mws4.biol.berkeley.edu