IUBio

Looking for

Rob Miller rmiller at bsm.bioc.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 19 06:41:45 EST 1996

Dr. Alex (aledain at receptor.pharm.uwa.edu.au) wrote:
: >vonbuskr at vivanet.com (R. VonBuskirk) wrote:
: >
: >> Im trying to find a software program that will:
: >>
: >>         1.  start a program at a specific time
: >>         2.  Run the program for a specific time
: >>         3.  Close the program
: >>
: >> Does anyone have any Ideas???
: >>
: >   buehler+ at pitt.edu (Eugen C. Buehler) wrote:
: >   Well if you're smart enough to be using a Macintosh, it should take
: >about five minutes to write an Applescript that would do what you want.
: >Here's what it would look like:
: >
: > ... script snipped ...
: >
: >If you're using Windows 95 (aka Mac 88) or any of those other, lesser
: >platforms, you're on your on.

: Not so true. If you run Warp then a turbo pascal prog written thus:

... prgram snipped ...

Not so indeed.  If you run Windows 95 (`then you have my sympathies...'
it's ok, I use it too :-)  you can get the W95 `Plus!' add ons, which
include a scheduler program which does what you request.

Now if you're *really* smart, you're running Linux or some other Unix(tm)
variant - in which case you simply use the `at' command - `man at' or
`man cron' for details.

						rob.

Rob Miller, Ph.D.

"...life too closely scrutinized
                    will lead to madness or suicide."

                              Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Biomolecular Structure and Modelling Unit (BSM),
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
University College / Gower Street / London WC1E 6BT.
United Kingdom.

Tel: +44 171419 3890           Fax: +44 171380 7193

Internet: rmiller at bsm.bioc.ucl.ac.uk
http://www.biochem.ucl.ac.uk/~rmiller