Clustal W version 1.4 now available for Unix and VMS.
Clustal W is a complete overhaul and upgrade of the Clustal V multiple
sequence alignment program. It has been available (with bugs) as a test
version for 2 months but is now officially ready for human consumption
The main new features (over Clustal V) are:
1) reads GDE, MSF and Clustal format alignments as input.
2) the New Hampshire (nested parentheses) tree format is used as default
for all trees (compatible with the PHYLIP package).
3) greatly enhanced protein alignment sensitivity (sequence weighting,
position and residue specific gap penalties, range of weight matrices,
neighbor-joining trees from full dynamic programming pairwise alignments).
4) enhanced facilities for addition of new sequences to old alignments.
5) improved portability between Unix boxes.
The main changes since version 1.3 are bug fixes. The alignments should
be the same.
The source code is available from the EMBL file server by ftp:
ftp.embl-heidelberg.de OR ftp.ebi.ac.uk
unix version: pub/software/unix/clustalw.tar.Z
vms version: pub/software/vms/clustalw.uue
or by e-mail from the e-mail address: Netserv at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE
Mail one of the following lines:
There are no versions available for MAC or PC. These will come later.
Julie Thompson and Toby Gibson (Gibson at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE)
European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
Des Higgins (Higgins at EBI.ac.uk)
European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI)
Cambridge CB10 1RQ