IUBio

UNIX GCG Site: How much CPU power?

Keith Robison robison at mito.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 29 21:01:14 EST 1994

Our department is considering upgrading the central computer which is
used to run GCG. We will definitely go with a UNIX box.  I was wondering
if folks would be kind enough to share their experiences with how
fast a machine you need.

Key points which I can think of are:

	1) Architecture & speed (Sun, HP, SGI, Alpha, etc)
	2) How many total users in department
	3) A reasonable guess as to the number of simultaneous users
	4) Is your current configuration working? (i.e. are people
	   happy with response time)
	5) Any relevant comments

Please post or E-mail; I will post a summary of E-mailed responses.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI

robison at mito.harvard.edu