IUBio

Win32s problems

Leonard N. Bloksberg bloksber at pilot.msu.edu
Mon Aug 29 11:44:00 EST 1994

In Article <gen5ajt.18.000B7DC4 at leeds.ac.uk> "gen5ajt at leeds.ac.uk (TRICKETT A.J.)" says:
> In article <33kqel$cmj at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> "Dr R. Dalgleish" <ray at leicester.ac.uk> writes:
> >From: "Dr R. Dalgleish" <ray at leicester.ac.uk>
> >Subject: Re: Win32s problems
> >Date: 26 Aug 1994 14:24:37 +0100
>

> >> Newsgroups: bionet.software
> >>
> >> In article <33k9pe$q4q at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> you write:

> >> You could try WinWeb instead.  It looks similar to Mosaic
> >> and was as fast.  I didn't try and crash it, but it didn't
> >> fall over when I was playing with it.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Read the rec.autos.sport list of                Andrew Henry
> >> Frequently Asked Questions v1.1 at:          A.H.Henry at bath.ac.uk
> >> http://www.bath.ac.uk/~bspahh/rasfaq.html   University of Bath, UK
> >> ftp://mgu.bath.ac.uk/pub/rec.autos.sport        Sempre Gilles
> >>
> >Somebody locally was able to sort out the problem for me. It seems that
> >Microsoft (in their wisdom) have written the Win32s extensions so that
> >they only work with the Microsoft VGA or SVGA video drivers for Windows.
> >I had been using an S3 specific driver and that interferes with Win32s.
> >I do not know if the Microsoft SVGA256 driver works with Win32s as it
> >does not work with the S3 card and so I was unable to test the combination.
> >Perhaps somebody else can answer that one.
>
> >Thanks,
>
> >Raymond Dalgleish
>
> It does however work fin with my S3 graphics card, and I'm using the Orchid
> supplied drivers.
>
> Adam

There seems to be some apparent contradiction between compatibility with
different/same video drivers.  I am not using this program yet, but I have
run into miscelenious incompatibilities and crashing problems that were
related to the video card.  The problem has usually been related to memory
and memory usage.  GUI's are very V-RAM intensive.  Most people who buy a
cheap SX with VGA system get a 256K V-RAM card.  This is often not sufficient,
and when the computer runs out of space, you crash.  Running a similar 256K
card with a different driver that takes up just a little more or less space
in the RAM can also make or break a system that is running just a little over
it's capacity.  Since V-RAM is separate from normal RAM, the problem does not
often show up as a memory problem.  I would recomend a minimum 1meg V-RAM
SVGA card for anyone running a GUI.  These cards can now be had for a mere
$69-.  You could go wild and get a 4meg, viper, VLB, non-interlaced for $500-
but that is not really necessary.  I should say that I don't know if this is
the problem that you are experiencing.  What I am saying is that if you are
running any program with a GUI, from Windows on up, then you should be running
a minimum 1meg VRAM, SVGA card or you will have occasional balks and crashes
and software incompatibility problems and generally annoying delays.  Good
luck.
                                     .
Leonard N. Bloksberg
bloksber at pilot.msu.edu